Capellini pasta is the finest pasta cut that exists. It cooks in just 3 minutes and pairs best with creamy sauce like this simple tomato sauce Al Pomodoro.
Natural sweet and sour taste of tomatoes, hint of garlic and basil all followed but slightly sharp flavor of quality Parmesan cheese makes this such a simple meal UTTERLY delicious.
Another thing to love about this pasta is that you can make variations to the flavor depending on the season.
In summer, use fresh cherry tomatoes cut in cubes instead of tomato sauce.
During cold seasons, even if fresh tomatoes are available but they don’t have much flavor and in cases when you don’t have fresh tomatoes on hand use quality canned tomato sauce.
Instead of regular passata try Passata di Pomodoro Ciliegino (Cherry Tomato Passata).
I find that this is THE sauce to use with capellini. Mainly because the taste of pomodoro is not covered or mixed with anything else and you can truly enjoy the natural sweetness of Sicilian cherry tomatoes.
You can also use homemade tomato passata. Canned or fresh it’s equally delicious.
And it’s almost the same. Only difference is that angel hair pasta has a slightly longer cooking time (4-5 minutes instead of 3). I believe it mainly depends on the grain type used.
Capellini Al Pomodoro
- In a large skillet pan add a generous splash of extra virgin olive oil and garlic cloves crushed with a flat knife.
- Simmer on medium-low heat until garlic becomes fragrant.
Add tomato passata and let simmer while you bring water for pasta to boil.
- Remove garlic cloves, add salt to taste and a little sugar if the sauce needs some extra note of sweetness. Finally, remove garlic cloves and add fresh basil leaves.
- Once capellini are cooked add them to the pan with tomato sauce, toss in the pan quickly. If the sauce is too thick add some cooking liquid from pasta, give another toss and serve immediately.
- Generously grate over some Parmesan cheese.
Garnish with fresh basil leaf.