This is one of my husband’s favorite meals. And no wonder – juicy meat simmered in rich tomato sauce and topped with fresh mozzarella cheese that melts all over the cutlets 😋
All that with subtle flavor of oregano and basil leaves.
And honestly, it’s one of my favorites too.
Ready in less than 30 minutes.
Did I mention it’s one-skillet dish? 😉
So yes, less dishes, fewer ingredients and MORE flavor.
Authentic chicken pizzaiola is made with just 4 main ingredients: chicken, tomato puree, basil leaves and mozzarella.
No onions or bell peppers, no Parmesan cheese and no Worcestershire sauce (please!🙏)
This is the beauty of authentic Italian recipes and a cornerstone of all Italian cousine afterall – simplicity and quality of the ingredients.
Of course, chicken pizzaiola can be easily turned into veal pizzaiola or beef pizzaiola.
You just choose the meat, the sauce and cooking method will remain the same.
- 1 pound chicken breast
- 8 oz fresh mozzarella 1 large ball
- 2 cups tomato passata tomato puree
- ¼ cup dry white wine
- ¼ cup flour more if needed
- 2 tbsp butter
- Extra virgin olive oil
- A few fresh basil leaves
- Dry oregano
- Salt pepper to taste
- Slice chicken breast into cutlets or you can use already sliced store bought cutlets. Season with salt and pepper.
- Dip each cutlet in flour and dredge both sides.
- In a large skillet pan placed over medium heat add butter and a generous splash of extra virgin olive oil.
- Brown chicken cutlets on each side. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- In the same pan add white wine, stir well and simmer for a minute.Add tomato puree (if it looks too thick add some water), basil leaves and simmer on low heat for 5-7 minutes.
- Place chicken cutlets you’ve previous set aside in tomato sauce, top with mozzarella slices, season oregano. Cover with a lid and simmer for another 5 minutes until cheese melts.
- Serve hot topped with tomato sauce from the pan.
Anticipating your thoughts…YES, chicken pizzaiola can definitely be reheated the next day, so make the double portion 😉