It’s like having a pizza, but low fat, low cal, and naturally gluten free 😊
Eggplants, hands down, is one of my favorite veggies.
I love them in any shape, form and pairing.
And so do I feel about pizza.
But eating classic pizza too often is bad for the tummy and waistline, you know 😉
And while you’ll still want to do a real pizza night (for us it’s on Saturdays) and eat that delicious pizza crust, these eggplant pizzette is a healthy and I assure you, supper addictive variation.
Creamy eggplant bottom serves as a bed for the classic pizza topping.
With melted cheese on the top, it’s simply divine 😋
The best type of eggplant for these eggplant pizzette would be a round purple eggplant. It has less seeds, less bitter and has just the perfect shape for big pizza-style bottoms.
But if you don’t have that type of eggplants available, regular large purple eggplants will do too. I suggest you make cross cuts before putting them in the oven and drizzle with a little bit of extra virgin olive oil. You might need to slightly increase cooking time as well.
Classic mozzarella for pizza is the best.
But you can use a different kind of cheese if you’d like.
I don’t suggest using fresh mozzarella cheese as it contains too much liquid and will make your pizzette mushy.
Same refers to cheery tomatoes. Once you cut them in quarters let them sit for a couple minutes and drain all excess liquid.
You can use regular tomatoes cut in cubes too. Although I find that extra sweetness of cherry or plum tomatoes is the best marriage in this simple topping.
- 2 eggplants , round purple eggplants are the best
- 3 cups tomato puree (passata)
- 8 oz mozzarella cheese , cut in cubes
- 15-20 cherry tomatoes , cut in quarters
- Dried oregano
- Salt to taste
- Fresh basil leaves for garnishing
- Preheat oven to 400F (200C).
- Wash and cut eggplants into ½ inch (1.25 cthick slices. Discard the ends.
- Place eggplant slices on a backing sheet lined with a parchment paper.
- Spread tomato pure on top of each eggplant, sprinkle with dried oregano.
- Bake in a preheated to 400F (200C) oven for 15-20 minutes or until eggplants are almost cooked through.
- Top eggplant pizzette with mozzarella cheese and cherry tomatoes.
- Bake in the oven for another couple of minutes until cheese is melted.
- Top with fresh basil right before serving.
Eggplant pizzette make a perfect appetizer, side dish or a full light and delicious meal in and of itself.