Tomato and Basil Soup is one of my go-to soup recipes. Light, creamy and seriously comforting.
Is there anything better than dipping a piece of bread in this luxury?
Stick with me and learn even more about variations and tricks to make this super yummy foolproof tomato and basil soup.
Classic version of the recipes that you’ll find below is super light and pretty low cal.
But if you’ll like to enrich and thicken this soup a little more here what to do:
Cut in cubes carrot, 2 celery stalks and an onion.
Toss in the pot together with garlic and extra virgin olive oil. Simmer for a few minutes until veggies soften a little.
Proceed further with the recipe as indicated below.
But if you’re using crushed tomatoes I strongly recommend you get cans of San Marzano tomatoes.
These Italian quality tomatoes are super sweet, delicate and just perfect for this cream soup.
Of course, if you have different tomatoes handy you can use them as well.
Simply add a spoon or two of sugar or lemon juice to balance the acidity.
But taste first 😉
Light & Creamy Tomato And Basil Soup
- 4 cups San Marzano crushed tomatoes
- 3-4 cups bouillon
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3 garlic cloves
- Handful fresh basil leaves
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Salt to taste
- Place a dutch oven or stock pot over medium heat.
You can use deep skillet pan as well.
- Add a generous drizzle of extra virgin olive oil and garlic cloves crushed with a flat knife.
Stir for a minute or two until garlic becomes fragrant.
- Add crushed tomatoes and bouillon. It’s best to use homemade bouillon but you can go with making it using better the bouillon or bouillon cubes.
- Bring to boil an let simmer on low heat under a covered lid for about 30 minutes.
Add clean basil leaves and simmer for another few minutes.
- Using an immersion hand blender puree everything tomatoes until creamy consistency.
Add heavy cream, taste and adjust salt if needed.
- Serve hot or warm.
Garnish with basil leaves and a few extra spoons of heavy cream.
Isn’t that a comfort food in and of itself? 😊