Mascarpone cheese is one of the favorite ingredients in Italian desserts and mousse creams. It’s beloved for its smooth texture, milky-white color, and rich buttery flavor.
It originated in Lomardy region of Italy (southwest of Milan) probably at the late 16th or early 17th century. And till these days mascarpone is a specialty of that region.
Around the world it’s probably best known as a main ingredient on the famous Italian Tiramisu.
Today I’d like to introduce you to a less know but heavenly delicious dessert with mascarpone cheese.
Base ingredients for the mousse are mascarpone and whipping cream.
But since both are very rich in fat, I like to lighten it up with a greek yogurt. Yes, it’s still a fat bomb, but much more delicate 🙂
By the way, it’s THE perfect dessert if you are doing keto or low carb dieting.
This plain mousse base can be enriched with fresh fruit like strawberries, blueberries, raspberries. For chocolate lovers mascarpone chocolate mousse is a dream.
But it’s always fun to go off the beaten path! So we are favoring this fresh, creamy and airy dessert with an orange zest and a touch of Grand Marnier.
Together, they add an UNFORGETTABLE flavor and scent.
More of that, the preparation itself is very easy, and the result turns out truly sophisticated.
TIP: Before zesting an orange, cut a few slices and leave them for garnishing.
TOOL: This Stainless Steel Grater/Zester is something I can’t live without. It’s not only perfect for zesting oranges or lemons but it’s also my go-to tool for grating fresh parmesan cheese, chocolate, ginger, nutmeg, even garlic. PLUS having this multipurpose tool saves storage space in the kitchen and that’s a huge bonus in my eyes.
Having said that , you can definitely use your regular grater to make this recipe. So no worries if you don’t have this handy zester.
And here’s how you make it.
8 oz mascarpone cheese
4 oz greek yogurt
4 oz whipping cream
¼ cup powdered sugar
2 tbsp orange zest (roughly 1 orange)
2 tbsp of Grand Marnier or other orange liquor
cocoa powder for garnishing
1. In a large bowl mix together greek yogurt and mascarpone cheese.
Grate 1 orange zest and add it to the mix.
2. In a separate bowl beat together whipping cream and powdered sugar until soft peaks form.
3. Gently combine freshly whipped cream and orange liquor with mascarpone and yogurt mix until smooth.
Serve in individual cups sprinkled with cocoa powder and garnished with a slice of orange.
Quantity of the ingredients can be adjusted depending on the size of the party.
- 8 oz mascarpone cheese
- 4 oz greek yogurt
- 4 oz whipping cream
- ¼ cup powdered sugar
- 2 tbsp orange zest (roughly 1 orange)
- 2 tbsp of Grand Marnier or other orange liquor
- cocoa powder for decoration
- In a large bowl mix together greek yogurt and mascarpone cheese.
- Grate 1 orange zest and add it to the mix.
- In a separate bowl beat together whipping cream and powdered sugar until soft peaks form.
- Gently combine freshly whipped cream and orange liquor with mascarpone and yogurt mix until smooth.
- Serve in individual cups sprinkled with cocoa powder and garnished with a slice of orange.
- Before zesting an orange, cut a few slices and leave them for garnishing.