This is my favorite FALL pork chop casserole.
Just imagine, juicy and tender pork chops rubbed with herbs and cooked in one pan with potatoes and pumpkin.
Complete, delicious dinner ready in about 30 minutes. What else can you wish for?
I said favorite fall casserole, but since pumpkin is in season for most part of the year, it’s one of those go-to dishes pretty much September through April.
Now, I might add some variation depending on the herbs I have on hand and might even add some sweet potatoes. But other than that, the choice of ingredients is super simple.
The best pork chops for this casserole are by all means those with bone-in. In some magical way the big bone helps preserve more juice in the meat while baking (or cooking with any method for that matter).
If you’re looking for boneless pork chops recipe – try one of these:
What I love about pork meat, is that it’ll pair nicely with pretty much all the herbs. And so be it.
Here are classic herbs I normally have growing on a windowsill that rub perfectly into the pork chops.
- Parsley (fresh or frozen)
- Bay Leave
You can also add fresh or dried basil, thyme and more. Just make sure none of the strong tasting herbs is too much dominant.
You can always add extra parsley though. In fact, I recommend you do! It gives more color and substance to the rub without flavor overkill.
Pork Chop Casserole Step By Step
Grease a baking casserole with extra virgin olive oil. Add potatoes and pumpkin, all cut in cubes. Add salt and pepper, mix well using your hands.
Remove hard stems from the herbs and finely chop them with a sharp knife.
Rub each pork chop with herbs on both sides.
Place pork chops on a bed of pumpkin and potatoes and bake in a preheated to 375F / 180C oven for 30-40 minutes.
Salt at the end. Drizzle with more extra virgin olive oil before serving.
Pork Chop Casserole with Herbs, Pumpkin & Potatoes
- 2 pork chops
- 4 medium size potatoes cut in cubes
- 2 cups pumpkin cut in cubes
- Aromatic herbs: handful parsley, 2 rosemary sprigs, oregano, bay leaf, 2 sage leaves etc
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Salt, pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- In a baking dish add a few splashes of extra virgin olive oil, add potatoes and pumpkin cut in cubes. Add salt and pepper to taste. Mix well and spread evenly all over the bottom of the dish.
- Finely chop all the herbs together obtaining a fine grind texture. Flip each pork chop in the herb mix.
- Arrange herb rubbed chops on top of potatoes and pumpkin cubes. Add another splash of extra virgin olive oil.
- Bake in preheated to 375 F/ 180C oven for 30-40 minutes depending on the size of the pork chops.If pork chops are on the thinner side you’ll want to cut potatoes and pumpkin into smaller cubes so that meat and veggies cook evenly.