There is nothing you wouldn’t love about this vegetable lasagna.
Nothing fried, no heavy melted cheeses or unnecessary breadcrumbs.
Instead, super light, oven baked slices of eggplants and zucchini, layered with slightly tangy Parmesan cheese.
Add tomato and basil pesto sauce to balance all the flavors and to give your lasagna perfect juiciness from top to bottom.
It’s perfect for freezing too!
For hot summer days it’s just what doctor ordered 😋
Skinny Vegetable Lasagna with Tomato And Basil Pesto Sauce
Super light, low in fats but so satisfying this vegetable lasagna is perfect for hot summer days.Print Pin Rate / Comment
- 2 eggplants (700-800g)
- 2 zucchini (600-700g)
- 3 cups tomato passata (tomato pure)
- 2 cups Parmesan cheese , grated
- 1 jar basil pesto
- Handful basil leaves
- 3 garlic cloves
- Peperconcino (chilli flakes) to taste
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Wash and dry veggies with a paper towel.
- Cut off tops and bottoms.
- Using a mandoline slice slice zucchini and eggplants into 2 mm (1/16 of an inch) slices.
- Place them in one layer on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Baked in a preheated to 375F oven: zucchini for 5 minutes, eggplants 7-8 minutes.
- In the meantime prepare the sauce.
- In a saute pan add splash of extra virgin olive oil, garlic cloves crushed with a flat knife and a pinch of peperconcino (chili flakes). Add tomato puree and basil leaves and leave to simmer on low heat for 10-15 minutes. Add a bit of water if the sauce becomes too thick.
- Taste for acidity and add a teaspoon of sugar if needed.
Arrange Lasagna in a Casserole.
- At the bottom of casserole spread a few tablespoons of tomato sauce.
- Put a single layer of eggplants, add tomato sauce, top with grated Parmesan cheese.
- Layer next zucchini, spread a thin layer of basil pesto, top with Parmesan cheese.
- Repeat steps 2-3 finishing lasagna with tomato sauce and Parmesan cheese.
- Bake in a preheated to 350F oven for 20-25 minutes.
Liked this recipe?Follow @italianrecipeb for more!
Enjoy it hot, warm or room temperature.
Serve with a slice of grilled meat or all on its own.
Don’t forget to let me know if you tried it in the comments below 🙂
Friday 26th of March 2021
I'd like to know if this can be frozen
Italian Recipe Book
Monday 26th of April 2021
Hello Camille, I apologize for my slow reply. Yes, you can freeze this vegetable lasagna once it's almost cooked and cooled to room temperature. When ready to consume thaw lasagna and baked in a preheated oven for 10-15 minutes.