There are a lot of pasta recipes that I would make and eat in a heartbeat.
And this cavatelli lemon artichoke pasta is the new addition.
You’ll be amazed how few simple ingredients turn into a spectacular pasta bowl.
You can make it with store bought or homemade cavatelli.
But you probably guessed it, you get extra points (and flavors) for homemade ones.
Plus it’s REALLY simple to make.
I really love using fresh artichokes whenever they’re in season.
And here’s a quick tutorial with pictures How To Trim & Clean Fresh Artichokes that’ll come handy whenever you’re using fresh artichokes for this pasta.
Having said that, you can always go with frozen artichokes hearts as well.
Cavatelli and Artichokes wouldn’t be the same without a bouillon.
Better than bouillon is probably the best, but you can easily your preferred bouillon cube.
This one ingredient enhances the flavors of both pasta and artichokes and helps it become the best version of itself.
But you don’t have any of that handy, this pasta with still turn out pretty amazing.
Try it and let me know 😉
Cavatelli Pasta with Artichokes
- 16-20 oz fresh homemade cavatelli or 12 oz if using dry cavatelli
- 2 artichokes medium size
- 1 lemon juice
- Handful of fresh parsley chopped
- 1 tbsp better than bouillon or ⅓ – ½ of a regular bouillon cube
- 3 large garlic cloves
- Pinch of chili flakes optional
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Salt pepper to taste
- Start by trimming and cleaning artichokes, cutting in half and placing them in a bowl with fresh water with lemon juice.
- This can be done a few minutes/ hours ahead.When ready cut each artichoke half in thin slices.
- In a large skillet pan add a generous drizzle of extra virgin olive oil, garlic cloves crushed with a flat knife and a pinch of chili flakes. If you love a stronger taste of garlic you can add chopped garlic instead of whole.
- Let garlic become fragrant, add artichoke slices.
Toss in the pan on medium high heat. Once artichokes are slightly browned, reduce the heat and add about ¼ cup of lemon water where artichokes were kept.
- Cover with a lid and let cook in slow heat for about 15-20 minutes, adding more lemon water if needed. Once artichokes are almost done add chopped parsley and bouillon cube. Taste for salt add more if needed, but bouillon should do its job.
- While artichokes are cooking boil water for pasta.Cook pasta according to directions on the package.Fresh homemade cavatelli cook in just 6-8 minutes.
- Drain cavatelli and add them to the pan with artichokes.
Toss everything in the pan for another minute or two, adding more cooking liquid from pasta if needed.
- Serve hot garnished with more parsley.
As an alternative you can use other types of short pasta like casarecce, farfalle (bow ties), cellentani etc.
Aren’t they mouthwatering? 😍