Are you guys ready to talk PIZZA today?
No, it’s NOT a kind of boring pizza you can easily find on the local menu.
Pizza with pumpkin is utterly delicious and, as always, it’s full of seasonal flavors.
SOO worth trying!!
Sweet and flavorful pumpkin paired with slightly salty Italian prosciutto cotto (cooked ham), topped with sharp Gorgonzola cheese and baked on a delicious whole wheat pizza crust.
Is it possible to resist these beautiful fall colors and flavors?
Not a chance!
Pumpkin Pizza with Prosciutto And Gorgonzola Cheese
For Pizza Dough:
- 1 ½ cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup + 1 tbsp water lukewarm
- ⅓ tsp dry yeast
- 1 tsp salt
- Extra virgin olive oil for greasing
For the filling:
- 1 Fresh Mozzarella ball 4 oz
- 8 slices Prosciutto Cotto Ham
- 10 oz Gorgonzola cheese
- 1 lb fresh pumpkin peeled and cut in cubes
- Rosemary sprigs
- 2 sage leaves optional
- Salt pepper to taste
- Butter or extra virgin olive oil
- Sieve all purpose flour after measuring. No need to sieve whole wheat. Mix both flours in a large bowl or in a food processor.
- Dissolve yeast in lukewarm water. Slowly add to the flour mix.
- Before flour is completely incorporated add salt.
- Knead by hand on a floured surface for about 10 minutes until the dough becomes smooth, soft and silky.
You can also knead it in the food processor with a dough hook.
- Transfer the dough ball in a large bowl greased with extra virgin olive oil.Cover with a plastic wrap of linen towel. Let rise at room temperature at about 70F for 5-6 hours.
- On a floured surface divide the dough in 2 equal parts.
- Roll each into a disc shape approx 14 inches in diameter. Start rolling from the center towards the edges, turning the dough form time to time.
- Transfer on a baking sheet pan or pizza pan, flour lightly and cover with a linen towel.
- Let rise for 1 hour always keeping the dough in warm and draft-free place.
I usually keep it in the turned off oven.
In the meantime prepare the filling.
- In a skillet pan add a few drizzles of extra virgin olive oil or few table spoons of butter.
Add pumpkin cubes, rosemary and sage leaves.
- Roast pumpkin for a few minutes until lightly brown, then cover with a lid and let cook for another few minutes until almost done. Add salt and pepper to taste. Let cool.
- Set aside half of roasted pumpkin for pizza topping.
- Pulse the rest in a food processor or blender together with a fresh Mozzarella ball cut in cubes.
- Taste for salt and add more if needed.
Assemble and Bake Pizza
- Preheat oven to 450F.
- Spread mozzarella and pumpkin sauce over pizza base.
- Cover with prosciutto slices, then top with pumpkin and Gorgonzola cheese cubes.
- Add a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil and some rosemary leaves.
- Bake in a preheated to 450F oven for 12-15 minutes.
- Repeat the same process with the second pizza crust.
The quantity of ingredients listed in the recipes makes two large pizza.
Depending on the appetite it can satisfy 2 to 4 people.
In case you want to make just one pizza, STILL make the dough with the quantities listed.
Use the remaining dough to make a delicious homemade whole wheat bread loaf.
PRO TIP: add some chopped walnuts. You’ll thank me later 😉