Rich, moist this classic pear cake of the season has a special twist.
Pear slices are poached in wine with some cloves to give the whole cake an incredible flavor and smell.
Wine Poached Pear Cake
Rich, moist caked filled with wine poached pears. One of the best cakes to enjoy during cold season.Print Pin Rate / Comment
Prep Time20 mins
Cook Time1 hr
Total Time1 hr 15 mins
- 3 cups flour (packed)
- 1 ½ cup sugar
- 7 oz butter (softened)
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 5 eggs (egg yolks separated from egg whites)
- ½ cup milk
Poached Pear Filling
- 2 lb pears
- ½ cup dry white wine
- 2 tbsp sugar
- ½ tsp clove powder or 5 clove buds
- 3-4 tbsp brown sugar (optional)
- Wash and peel pears, remove the core.
- Cut in ¼ inch slices. Set 10-12 slices aside.
- Put the rest in a skillet pan on medium heat. Add sugar, white wine, clove buds or powder. Poach pears for a few minutes, turn off the heat and let them cool completely.
- If you used clove buds, remove them.
- Preheat the oven to 375F.
- Beat egg whites with half of sugar until medium peaks.
- In a separate bowl beat butter, remaining sugar and egg yolks.
- Incorporate sifted flour and baking powder.
- Add milk and syrup drained from poached pears, mix well.
- Fold in pear slices. Also fold in egg whites one spoon at a time.
- Grease and flour a large bundt pan. Transfer the cake batter in the pan, top with pear slices you’ve previously set aside.
- Sprinkle with brown sugar.
- Bake in a preheated to 375F oven to 50-60 minutes.
For this recipe measure flour BEFORE sifting. This is very important for the right proportion of the ingredients. And I assume you always sift flour before mixing it with the rest of the ingredients. Time in the oven greatly depends on the size of the pan. The larger the pan (in diameter) less time it needs in the oven. But considering it’s a pretty generous cake it’ll not take less than 45 minutes in any case. Once the cake is ready leave it in the oven (turned off) for another 10 minutes.
Liked this recipe?Follow @italianrecipeb for more!
And one more picture to make your mouth water 🙂