Rich, moist this classic pear cake of the season has a special twist.
Pear slices are poached in wine with some cloves to give the whole cake an incredible flavor and smell.
Wine Poached Pear Cake
- 3 cups flour (packed)
- 1 ½ cup sugar
- 7 oz butter (softened)
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 5 eggs (egg yolks separated from egg whites)
- ½ cup milk
Poached Pear Filling
- 2 lb pears
- ½ cup dry white wine
- 2 tbsp sugar
- ½ tsp clove powder or 5 clove buds
- 3-4 tbsp brown sugar (optional)
- Springform Bund Pan 10 inch
- Wash and peel pears, remove the core.
- Cut in ¼ inch slices. Set 10-12 slices aside.
- Put the rest in a skillet pan on medium heat. Add sugar, white wine, clove buds or powder. Poach pears for a few minutes, turn off the heat and let them cool completely.
- If you used clove buds, remove them.
- Preheat the oven to 375F.
- Beat egg whites with half of sugar until medium peaks.
- In a separate bowl beat butter, remaining sugar and egg yolks.
- Incorporate sifted flour and baking powder.
- Add milk and syrup drained from poached pears, mix well.
- Fold in pear slices. Also fold in egg whites one spoon at a time.
- Grease and flour a 9-10 inch springform bundt pan. Transfer the cake batter in the pan, top with pear slices you’ve previously set aside.
- Sprinkle with brown sugar.
- Bake in a preheated to 375F oven to 50-60 minutes.
2. Still make the cake per instructions and when you take it out of the pan flip twice to have the beautiful pear decoration on top.
And one more picture to make your mouth water 🙂