Risotto with asparagus cream is definitely one of spring and summer favorites.
Delicate taste, creamy texture and fresh green color – what else could you wish for in classic Italian risotto?
Crumbled Parmesan Crisps on top! They add an unforgettable charm and color to the whole dish, which makes it perfect not only for family lunch but for elegant serving as well.
Be sure to choose fresh asparagus and clean it properly.
Want to turn this asparagus risotto 100% vegetarian?
Don’t use bouillon cubes, just cooking liquid from asparagus.
If you can’t find stracchino or crescenza cheese use quality ricotta.
And if you have any leftovers it’s a perfect chance to make this extraordinary and SUPER quick Strawberry Crumble Cake with ricotta cheese.
Risotto with Cream of Asparagus
- 12 oz Carnaroli rice
- 5-6 cups asparagus cooking liquid
- Bouillon cube
- 1 stack 16 oz fresh asparagus
- 2 oz stracchino or ricotta cheese
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- ½ cup parmesan cheese grated
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Put a pot of water to boil.
- Wash asparagus in cold water.Cut off tough woody part ends and peel the bottom of the stem with a special asparagus peeler or vegetable peeler.
Young and thin asparagus will do without peeling as they are still tender enough.
- Put asparagus bunches together and cut off thin tips until where the stem gets tougher. Wrap tips of asparagus stems with a rubber band.Cut the remaining spears in about an inch cubes or diamond shapes and put all asparagus to boil.
Remove band-wrapped asparagus tips after 3-5 minutes and run them under cold water.
Cook remaining asparagus for another 3-5 minutes.
Drain asparagus and keep cooking liquid.
- Dissolve bouillon cube or better than bouillon paste in asparagus cooking liquid to your taste. Keep it hot on very low heat.
- Set aside some asparagus tips for texture and garnishing garnishing.Blend into a cream the remaining asparagus with ricotta or stracchino cheese, pinch of salt, pinch of nutmeg and a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil.
- In a large skillet pan placed over medium heat add rice. Toss it for a minute without letting rice get brown.
- Add HOT stock one laddle at a time.Let risotto simmer on low heat adding more stock as is gets absorbed.
- While risotto is cooking prepare parmesan crisps (optional).
- Preheat oven to 400F.
Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Form circles using grated Parmesan cheese. Pat down the cheese for better form. Bake in a preheated oven for 3-5 minutes or until golden crisps form.
- Once rice is cooked add asparagus cream and simmer for another minute.
- Serve immediately with Parmesan crisp crumble or simple grated parmesan cheese if preferred.