Gnocchi Alla Sorrentina in rich tomato sauce is a classic Italian staple made in your own kitchen.
Ready in just 15 minutes it’s the ultimate fall comfort food.
In traditional kitchens of Sorrento, homemade gnocchi with cheese and tomato sauce are finished in the oven. Baking them in individual terracotta serving bowls keep them hot long after served. Which is perfect for winter time.
But you can just as well toss them in the pan.
Below you’ll find both versions.
Gnocchi Alla Sorrentina
- 1 lb potato gnocchi
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 4 oz fresh mozzarella ball
- 2 garlic cloves
- Fresh basil leaves
- Parmesan cheese freshly grated
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Salt pepper to taste
- In a large skillet pan add a splash of extra virgin olive oil and garlic cloves crushed witha a back of the knife so that can release more flavor and infuse the oil.
- Give a quick stir. Add tomato passata. Let simmer on low heat until slightly reduced.
- In the meantime bring water to boil and cook gnocchi until they float to the top.
- Remove garlic cloves from tomato sauce. Add fresh torn in large pieces basil leaves.
- Cut Mozzarella cheese in cubes
Quick Version: Toss in a pan
- Add gnocchi to tomato sauce in the pan. Top with Mozzarella cubes.
Give a gentle stir until mozzarella starts to melt.Grate over some Parmesan cheese. Serve.
Classic Version: Bake in the oven
- Mix gnocchi with tomato sauce. Transfer to oven-safe soup bowls, add Mozzarella cheese in cubes.
Top with grated Parmesan cheese.Bake in a preheated to 375F oven for 5-10 minutes.
- Serve immediately topped with more Parmesan and garnished with fresh basil.
Loved this Sorrentina Sauce?
Then you should also try Chicken Alla Sorrentina.