This simple but utterly delicious Italian stuffed artichokes is classics that just can’t go wrong.
Imagine, soft buttery petals paired with crunchy cheese, herbs and breadcrumb mix all with light and flavorful garlic taste.
These artichokes are nothing short of epic!
Italian stuffed artichokes can be served as an appetizer, main vegetarian course or paired with your favorite entree.
The best artichokes for stuffing are of course the large size artichokes like California Green Globe, Italian Mammole and rarely found Lyons quality.
But in reality you can stuff almost any kind of artichoke. For example I’ve used Sardinian Thorny Artichoke – Carciofo Spinoso which is very rich in flavor.
There are also variations how you can cook stuffed artichokes.
- Bake in the oven (like in the recipe below)
- Steam artichokes (with a classic steamer or in a pressure cooker)
- Boil artichokes to half done then stuff them and finish in the oven.
And finally, want to make your stuffed artichokes burst with flavor every single time?
Do this. Toast the breadcrumbs in the pan with some extra virgin olive oil and garlic clove crushed with a flat knife. Do this before mixing all the ingredients for the stuffing mixture.
This step is optional, of course, but if you have an extra minutes it’s totally worth it 😉
Italian Stuffed Artichokes
- 4 green globe artichokes or 6-8 smaller variety
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- ½ cup parsley finely chopped
- Handful mint leaves (optional)
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese grated
- ¼ cup Pecorino cheese grated
- 2 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 1 lemon juice only
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Salt to taste
- Prepare a bowl of fresh water with ½ lemon juice. Clean and trim artichokes. Remove tough outer leaves. If you have big artichokes like Green Globe, Lyon or Mammole remove the inner fuzzy choke. If you are using medium or small artichokes feel free to leave the choke as is.
- In a bowl mix all dry ingredients together: breadcrumbs, chopped garlic, chopped parsley and mint leaves (optional), cheese and salt.
This will be the mixture for stuffing.
- Drizzle each artichoke with extra virgin olive oil mixed with a some lemon juice, making sure you reach between the leaves.
Gently loosen the leaves one by one and generously fill in the space between the leaves and in the center with stuffing mixture.
- Arrange stuffed artichokes in a baking casserole half filled with water.
If you like you can place them on a bed of lemon slices, this will also prevent artichoke bottom from burning.
- Place in a preheated to 350F oven for 20-30 minutes.