Artichoke and Potato Casserole is one of winter and spring favorite side dishes.
It goes perfectly with any main course such as chicken meat or fish.
And even if you skip the meat or fish you’ll still have nutrient-rich and delicious meal.
To make this artichoke casserole both fresh and frozen artichokes (including edible part of leaves) will work well.
During winter time, when artichokes are in season definitely give preference to fresh ones if you can find them. Artichokes are a powerhouse of nutrients. Rich in fiber, natural prebiotics and antioxidants they also contain a significant amount of protein for a vegetable.
Four large artichokes and 4 medium potatoes is enough for 4 people. But if you LOVE artichokes feel free to add an extra one or two.
Now enough convincing, let’s get to our casserole 😉
Artichoke & Potato Casserole
- 4-6 artichokes
- 4 potatoes medium size
- 1 lemon
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese grated
- 2 tbsp bread crumbs
- Fresh parsley
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves optional
- Salt pepper to taste
- Clean and peel fresh artichokes as you would normally do.
- Defrost artichokes. Preferably in the fridge overnight (slow defrosting).
- Preheat the oven to 375 F.
- Peel potatoes and cut them in large cubes or slices.
- Cut each artichoke head in quarters.
- Mix potatoes and artichokes in a large bowl. Season with salt, pepper and extra virgin olive oil.
- If you like, add 3 garlic cloves crushed with a flat knife for more flavor. Mix well.
- Mix together bread crumbs and grated Parmesan cheese.
- Place artichokes and potatoes in a casserole pan. Add a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil and top with Parmesan and bread crumb mix.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 20-25 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for another 10-15 minutes.
- Garnish artichoke casserole with chopped parsley and serve hot.