Juicy, tender and super easy to make these salmon patties (or crochette di salmone) is a perfect pair to go with salads, polenta, baked or mashed potatoes and more!
You can fry them or bake in the oven for the healthier version (and less cleanup).
My favorite way to serve them is with this 2-minute avocado dipping sauce but simple lemon wedges or lemon slices is a good ol’ classics that can’t go wrong.
Even though the basic salmon patty recipe is pretty simple you can always add yummy variations to it. Depending on the season and what you’ve got in the fridge. Let’s see.
Salmon Patties Variations
Cherry Tomatoes: add chopped and drained from excess liquid cherry tomatoes to make salmon patties even juicier.
Chopped Onion: if you like you can also spice them up with small chopped onion or shallot. Shallot is much more milder in taste but still full of flavor.
Use Avocado Dipping Sauce as a filling. Place a dollop of avocado cream sauce on flat patty, top is with more salmon patty mixture, seal the edges and bread in the breadcrumbs.
Tips & Tricks
Try frying a smaller patty first, taste so that you can adjust seasoning and texture.
If the mixture is too dry, add more lemon juice or reserved liquid from canned salmon.
If the mixture is too thin, add more breadcrumbs or a small grated boiled potato.
Salmon Patties with Avocado Dipping Sauce
- 12 oz canned salmon or fresh salmon fillet
- ⅓ cup for the dough + ⅓ cup for breading breadcrumbs
- ½ lemon zest and juice
- ¼ cup parsley chopped
- 1 egg
- Salt pepper to taste
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 2 avocados
- ½ cup cream cheese
- Salt pepper to taste
- If using canned salmon, drain and reserve the liquid from the salmon. Flake with a fork. You’ll use reserved liquid only if the batter will seem too dry. But it’s better to have then regret afterwords.
- If using fresh salmon fillet, remove the bones with fish bone tweezers or small tongs. Chop finely.
- In a large bowl mix salmon, lemon juice and lemon zest if you’re using organic lemons.
Add chopped parsley and an egg. Mix well.
- Start adding a few tablespoons of breadcrumbs, add more if needed. The mix should remain soft but still come together to form patties.
- Using an ice cream scoop or simple your hands form salmon balls and press them lightly.
- At this point you can either bake them in the oven on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. OR...
- Bread each salmon patty in a bowl with breadcrumbs and fry the in a preheated pan with 3-4 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil.
It takes about 3-4 minutes on medium-love heat to brown salmon patties on each side.
- Once ready transfer salmon patties on a paper towel to absorb excess oil.
- Pit and mash avocados with cream cheese, add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve salmon patties with avocado dipping sauce or lemon wedges.
Tuesday 27th of March 2018
How long will you bake this in the oven and how much temperature?
Italian Recipe Book
Thursday 29th of March 2018
Hi Nena, bake salmon patties in a preheated to 350F oven for 20-25 minutes. When you notice them browning up lightly they're ready.