Is there a better comfort food than creamy baked scalloped potatoes? And while that’s still an open question, I challenge you to find something so simple yet so sophisticated.
Of course, this recipe would not be here if these scalloped potatoes did not have a delicate Italian twist.
Creamy bechamel sauce with a combination of right quantity of smoked provolone cheese and high quality prosciutto ham makes this a light yet filling plate.
And it tastes just out of this world delicious!
Serve with your favorite cold beer and it’s sure to become a HIT at your next friends gathering.
Bechamel Sauce: Homemade bechamel sauce is the best, but you can use a ready-to-use one as long as it’s high quality.
Prosciutto Ham: I love tenderness and perfect taste of Prosciutto Cotto by family-owned Italian brand Fratelli Beretta but you can use any good quality cooked prosciutto.
Provolone Cheese: I like to use smoked provolone cheese but you can use another high-quality cheese to your preference. Please avoid cheddar.
Now, let’s see all this in action.
There you have it, cooked to perfection cheesy scalloped potatoes with tender Italian ham.
Want to take your scalloped potatoes to the next level?
Instead of a regular bechamel sauce, use our 10-Minute Parmesan Cream Sauce.
Scalloped Potatoes with Ham And Provolone Cheese
- 2 lb potatoes
- 1 pack/ 4 oz prosciutto cotto Italian cooked ham
- 1 pack/ 4 oz provolone cheese
- 1 cup bechamel sauce
- ⅓ cup parmesan cheese grated
- 3 pinches oregano
- Salt, pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Wash and peel the potatoes removing any blemishes. You should have approx. 1 ½ lb of peeled potatoes. Enough for a 9-10-inch round baking pan. Slice the potatoes crosswise into thin ⅛ inch rounds.You can totally do this with a mandoline slicer to make the process faster and more precise. But you can do equally well without. Just make sure your slices are more or less of the same size so they all cook at the same rate.
- Spread 2 tbsp of homemade or ready-to-use bechamel sauce over the bottom of the baking dish.
- Layer ⅓ of the potato slices overlapping each other. Spread 2-3 tbsp of bechamel sauce. Sprinkle with a pinch of salt and ground pepper to taste.
- Layer ½ of prosciutto ham slices. Top prosciutto with provolone cheese.
- Repeat the process. Layer ⅓ of the potatoes, bechamel sauce, salt & pepper, Italian prosciutto and provolone cheese.
- As a finishing layer, arrange nicely the remaining potatoes. Spread bechamel sauce and top everything with grated parmesan cheese.
Bake in the lower third of the preheated to 350F oven for 50-60 minutes.Garnish with fresh or dried oregano or green chives.
But you can add more cheese of more ham to your preference. TIP 3: If you notice a golden crust starts to form earlier, place the pan lower in the oven or cover the top with a piece of foil.
Now your turn, let me know how you like your scalloped potatoes.