Can one resist creamy oven-baked tortellini al forno with light golden crust and crumbled bacon? Impossible!
This creamy and comforting pasta is a perfect dish for the whole family.
You can easily add variety to your tortellini al forno by choosing different types of tortellini every time you make it: 3 cheese tortellini, spinach stuffed tortellini, ham & cheese tortellini and even prosciutto stuffed tortellini if you can find them.
I also love adding dried porcini powder. If you don’t have dried porcini powder you can easily make it simply by grinding dried porcini mushrooms. And honestly, I prefer making my own, just because I know exactly what I’ve put in there.
It adds an incredible rich flavor, and it goes particularly well with cheese tortellini. But mushroom powder is optional.
With just all basic ingredients and less than 30 minutes of time you’ll have delicious tortellini al forno ready for the party.
By the way, if you made 10-Minute Parmesan Cream Sauce earlier and have any leftovers you can easily use it here without making the sauce from scratch. All you need to do is to dilute it with about about ½ – ⅔ cup hot milk or until you get a pretty thin but still creamy sauce.
Tortellini Al Forno
- 9 oz tortellini
- ½ cup roasted pancetta/ crumbled bacon
- Fresh parsley chopped
- 1 ⅓-1 ½ cup milk
- 1 oz butter
- 2 tbsp flour
- 2 tbsp dried porcini mushrooms powdered (optional)
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese grated
- Salt, pepper to taste
- Cook tortellini according to directions on the package. Take a reference of the least time indicated as you don’t want to overcook them. Drain when ready.
- In a food processor/coffee grinder grind dried porcini mushrooms (5-6 large pieces) skip this step completely and make tortellini al forno without it.
- In a small stove-top pot melt butter.
- Reduce the heat, add flour and whisk well breaking any lumps and making a smooth paste. Slowly pour in the milk. Continue whisking energetically and only add next portion of the milk once you have reached a smooth consistency of what’s in the pot.
- Add porcini mushroom powder, salt and pepper to taste.
- Continue whisking until you get a thin and velvety sauce.
Turn off the heat and add grated Parmesan cheese.
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- In a mixing bowl add cooked tortellini and light bechamel sauce, crispy bacon cubes and parsley. Mix gently.
- Transfer tortellini in a baking dish and top with more grated Parmesan cheese.
- Cook tortellini in the oven on “broil” for 10-15 minutes until light golden crust.
Don’t forget to pin it for later!