Cavatelli with broccoli is one of those magic pasta dishes that is hard to beat, both in flavor and in preparation time.
Hearty broccoli cooks together with pasta. In the meantime, in a deep skillet pan infuse oil with garlic and chili flakes, add cavatelli and broccoli when they’re cooked. Give everything a final toss in the pan and…
Simple seasonal veggies and traditional artisan pasta is a perfect marriage of flavors and nutrients.
Fragrant, bright and utterly delicious pasta and broccoli is ready to serve in 15 minutes flat!
No wonder it’s one of go-to pastas when “the door bell rings”.
Of course you can always improve from here.
Instead of store bought cavatelli, make your OWN homemade cavatelli.
It’s easier than you think! You don’t need any special equipment, boards or pasta machine. Not even the rolling pin!
Traditionally cavatelli are simply rolled by hand using your finger.
Learn How To Make Homemade Cavatelli In 3 Easy Steps [VIDEO]
Cavatelli And Broccoli Variations
If you want to add to your cavatelli with broccoli an flavor and boost nutrition toss in Italian sausage (casing removed), smoked or sweet pancetta (bacon) cubes.
Roast the meat lightly in a skillet pan while pasta and broccoli cooks, then mix everything together as directed in the recipe below.
Can I Use Frozen Broccoli?
Absolutely! You’ll loose a bit on the vitamins but you gain in convenience. Always handy in the freezer, no need to bother to clean and cut.
Through frozen broccoli in boiling water as directed in the recipe, but wait a couple of minutes before adding cavatelli. For the rest, proceed according to the recipe instructions.
Dry Pasta or Homemade Pasta?
No judgments, you choose! Dry pasta is always handy and requires 0 prep time.
BUT. If you have some extra time definitely try making them at home. Here’s a step by step recipe with pictures and a video: How To Make Homemade Cavatelli In 3 Easy Steps
15 Minute Cavatelli and Broccoli
- 12 oz cavatelli pasta
- 20 oz broccoli
- 3 garlic cloves
- Peperoncino chili flakes
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Salt ,pepper to taste
- Parmesan cheese for serving
- Bring water to boil. Add salt.
- Wash and divide broccoli into florets.
- Once water is boiling add broccoli and cavatelli pasta.
- If using fresh cavatelli, wait 3-4 minutes before adding them to broccoli as fresh pasta cooks really fast.
- In the meantime, in a large skillet pan add a generous drizzle of extra virgin olive oil, a pinch or two of chili flakes and garlic cloves peeled and crushed with a flat knife.
Let simmer on low heat.
- When pasta and broccoli are cooked, drain the water, reserving some for the sauce.
- Add cavatelli and broccoli to the skillet pan and toss for about 2 minutes, letting all the flavors combine. If possible discard garlic cloves.
- If pasta feels too dry add some cooking liquid or another splash of extra virgin olive oil.
- Serve hot, topped with freshly grated Parmesan cheese.
Don’t forget a generous sprinkling of freshly grated Parmesan cheese!