Cavatelli and broccoli is one of those magic pasta dishes that is hard to beat, both in flavor and in preparation time.
Simple seasonal veggies and traditional artisan pasta is a perfect marriage of flavors and nutrients.
Fragrant, bright and utterly delicious pasta and broccoli is ready to serve in 15 minutes flat!
All you need to do is cook hearty broccoli together with pasta.
In the meantime, in a deep skillet pan infuse oil with garlic and chili flakes, add cavatelli and broccoli once they're cooked.
Give everything a final toss in the pan and you'll have delicious healthy cavatelli and broccoli pasta ready quickly and easily.
No wonder it's one of go-to pastas when "the door bell rings".
Of course you can always improve from here.
It's easier than you think! You don't need any special equipment, boards or pasta machine. Not even the rolling pin!
Traditionally cavatelli are simply rolled by hand using your finger.
Cavatelli And Broccoli Variations
If you want to add to your pasta with broccoli an flavor and boost nutrition toss in Italian sausage (casing removed), smoked or sweet pancetta (bacon) cubes.
Roast the meat lightly in a skillet pan while pasta and broccoli cooks, then mix everything together as directed in the recipe below.
Can I Use Frozen Broccoli?
Absolutely! You'll loose a bit on the vitamins but you gain in convenience. Always handy in the freezer, no need to bother to clean and cut.
Through frozen broccoli in boiling water as directed in the recipe, but wait a couple of minutes before adding cavatelli. For the rest, proceed according to the recipe instructions.
Dry Pasta or Homemade Pasta?
No judgments, you choose! Dry pasta is always handy and requires 0 prep time.
BUT. If you have some extra time definitely try making them at home. Here's a step by step recipe with pictures and a video: How To Make Homemade Cavatelli In 3 Easy Steps
If you love this cavatelli with broccoli pasta try also:
Orecchiette With Broccoli Rabe
15 Minute Cavatelli and Broccoli
- Bring water to boil. Add salt.
- Wash and divide broccoli into florets.
- Once water is boiling add broccoli and cavatelli pasta.
- If using fresh cavatelli, wait 3-4 minutes before adding them to broccoli as fresh pasta cooks really fast.
- In the meantime, in a large skillet pan add a generous drizzle of extra virgin olive oil, a pinch or two of chili flakes and garlic cloves peeled and crushed with a flat knife.
Let simmer on low heat.
- When pasta and broccoli are cooked, drain the water, reserving some for the sauce.
- Add cavatelli and broccoli to the skillet pan and toss for about 2 minutes, letting all the flavors combine. If possible discard garlic cloves.
- If pasta feels too dry add some cooking liquid or another splash of extra virgin olive oil.
- Serve hot, topped with freshly grated Parmesan cheese.
Now you have my healthy, hearty cavatelli with broccoli recipe from Puglia that the whole family will enjoy.
Don't forget a generous sprinkle of freshly grated Parmesan cheese!