Creamy Chocolate Liqueur is a delicious after dinner drink that you can easily make at home.
It's a classic Italian homemade liqueur served during winter holidays. I first tried it at our neighbor's house a few years ago. I was amazed how delicious it tasted.
But what really knocked my socks off is how easy it is to make!
When I asked Signora Lucia for the recipe, I expected to hear you would need at least a week to make, and it couldn't be further from the truth.
This Chocolate Liqueur recipe she shared with me is made the same day and it's made with most simply ingredients: vodka, milk, cream, sugar and cocoa powder.
Enjoy the recipe and if you like it, be a good neighbor and share it too!
- Cocoa powder - make it with dark unsweetened cocoa powder. For the most flavor I use and highly recommend dutch cocoa powder with 22/24% cocoa butter.
- Whole milk - fresh 3.2% fat whole milk is the best. But you can also use 2% milk if you prefer. Important is to get a fresh product sold in the refrigerated aisle not on the shelf (long-life milk).
- Whipping cream/double cream 33% fat - same as for milk, get the one sold in the refrigerated aisle not on the shelf.
- Sugar - white sugar.
- Vodka - high quality vodka with neutral taste.
HOW TO MAKE
Step 1: In a pot mix cocoa powder with sugar. Add heavy cream. Mix until smooth. Add milk and mix again.
Step 2: Place the pot on medium heat and bring to a boil continuously stirring. Once boiling, set the heat to low and simmer continuously stirring for 5 more minutes.
Let cool completely.
Step 3: Once cool add vodka. Stir well and bottle using a funnel.
Set in the fridge to thicken.
HOW TO SERVE
- Straight up in a liqueur glass: Chocolate liqueur can be served at room temperature or cold. It will be slightly thinner if left at room temperature or perfectly thick and velvety if served cold.
- To serve at room temperature: take the bottle our from the fridge 2 hours before serving.
- To serve cold: take the bottle from the fridge 10-15 minutes before serving.
- Poured over ice-cream, cake or panettone - it has truly creamy texture that it's easy to use it as a sauce.
- Add to Italian Hot Chocolate for a little booze and extra chocolate-y flavor.
Homemade chocolate liqueur should stored in the fridge. It will keep well for 1-2 months.
More Italian Liqueurs To Make At Home
- Limoncello - delicious lemon flavored Italian liqueur that has become a staple of Italian cuisine.
- Limoncello Cream - creamy, silky version of the classic Limoncello.
- Strawberry Liqueur - creamy and classic version made with fresh strawberries.
Homemade Chocolate Liqueur
- 2 cups whole milk , 500 ml
- 1 cup whipping/heavy cream (33%), 250 g
- 1 cup vodka , 250 ml
- ¾ cup sugar , 165 g
- 75 g dark cocoa powder (unsweetened)
- In a pot mix cocoa powder with sugar. Add heavy cream. Mix until smooth. Add milk and mix again.
- Place the pot on medium heat and bring to a boil continuously stirring. Once boiling, set the heat to low and simmer continuously stirring for 5 more minutes.
- Let cool completely.
- Once cool add vodka. Stir well and bottle using a funnel.
- Set in the fridge to thicken. Enjoy at room temperature or cold.
Merry Christmas & Buon Natale!