Think pesto is only about basil?
And you wouldn’t be wrong thinking that way.
The word Pesto in 98 out of 100 instances is associated with classic Pesto Genovese.
It’s the world’s famous Italian pesto sauce made of fresh basil leaves, Parmesan & Pecorino cheese, extra virgin olive oil and pine nuts.
But in reality there are a lot of other pesto varieties.
And today, I’d like to introduce my favorite summer version. Light and creamy this pesto is made from raw zucchini. Yep, RAW zucchini 😉
Their delicate taste pairs perfectly with fresh mint and all the creaminess of pine nuts and cheeses. Zucchini pesto is a great company for pasta, crostini, friselle and even salads.
Add a garlic clove if you love a stronger taste, but to me it’s best to keep it super light as it is.
Make it once, and you will not be able to resist making it over and over again.
Ready in just 15 minutes!
What else can you wish for during these hot summer days?
Zucchini & Mint Pesto
- 1 zucchini medium size (7 oz)
- ¼ cup fresh mint leaves ,packed
- ¼ cup mix of grated Parmesan & Pecorino cheese
- ¼ extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp pine nuts
- 4-5 basil leaves
- Salt pepper to taste
- Grate zucchini using a side grater into large shreds.Transfer to a strainer placed over a bowl to collect liquid. Add a pinch of salt, mix and wait for about 10 minutes until zucchini release the excess liquid. Press them against the strainer to make sure all the juices are extracted.
- Now second and the last step.
Put all ingredients into a food processor or blender bowl. Pulse a couple of times until smooth but still a bit chunky texture.
Spoon it over a bowl of pasta or top a crunchy frisella. You can also use this pesto to go with chicken, salads, bruschette and any other creative way that come too mind. It’s simple but truly delicious.
Mafalde With Creamy Zucchini & Mint Pesto – Italian Recipe Book
Friday 4th of August 2017
[…] the beautify of this recipe is that you can prepare zucchini mint pesto in advance. In this case you cut prep time in […]